Thursday, June 22, 2017

No Worries...I Got This...

As a "threenager," our little Mads has grown very witty, independent, and very much an old soul in her own right. Almost daily, while assisting her in putting on shoes, buckling her carseat or filling her water cup, she waves me away with a quick: "No worries, I got this..."

Whaaattt? 

Kid, you're 3. And you still use a pacifier (don't judge- that fairy will get here sooner or later). I guess that's just my little way of controlling the ruthless, unforgiving clock of childhood that my Ma used to talk so much about as she watched her babies grow up in that cliché blink of an eye.

But the Mads? At three, she gets it. I mean, GETS it. She "gets" Life more than many of 40-somethings I know and love. And that fact makes me love her endearing charm, shameless stubbornness, and sweet, nurturing soul all the more.

...

The other day, we tested out a new park nearby - one that was well suited for ages 5-12 (or at least that is what the sticker on the equipment said). Nevertheless, Jimmy found a rope bridge to zoom across, only a mere minor obstacle in his way to the giant rock slide. Maddy, in trying to keep up with Brudder, coupled with her less adept footing, ran up to the rope bridge and terrifyingly whined, "I scared, Mama. Help!" complete with her arms outstretched. Reassuring her she was safe, I helped her down and she moved onto something else to try. 

Not five minutes later, she found herself on that part of the playground again. Faced with the giant tightrope in front of her, she took one step and nervously choked, "I scared, Mama. Help me!" Reaching out my arms, she leapt into them and focused her attention on the sand lot next. 

Watching her play in the sand, I couldn't help but notice her focus her sights on that rope bridge. If you know the Mads, you know what happens next. 

"Help me, Mama," she quietly insisted (more than asked) as her little foot took its first step on the rope bridge. She kept both hands on the guide ropes and I told her I would keep my "hand on your arm until you make it." 

And then she started this:


"No worries, Mama, I got this. I can do anything." With that she proceeded to sing-song: "I can do anything, I can do any-thing, I can do anything, anything..." 


And, fourteen little steps later, she turned to me and beamed: "I did it!"

Cue the ugly, ugly cry. There I was, at the park amongst a zillion other moms and kids, sobbing, hoping my Jackie O sunglasses disguised my vulnerability, but not my pride. 

...

So, the moral of the story is this: There should be no worries because YOU GOT THIS. You can do anything, anything, any-thing. You may give up a handful of times, but in the end, you got this. Use your guide ropes, ask for help, and be grateful if you are lucky enough to have someone to keep their hand on your arm until you make it. Because you will. All you have to do is make it past that first, scary step.

2 comments: