Monday, December 8, 2014

All I Could Ever Need

My son is really diggin' this Christmas... He waits by the window for the lights to go on every day at precisely 4:59pm; he sings "'Fa la la la la'  and 'Santa, Santa, HO HO HO' " along with a Mickey Mouse holiday episode; he runs to the door when the bell rings signaling yet another package has arrived... Most of all, though, he cherishes his Christmas tree, both the one here at home and the one at Papa's house (Papa's tree has an amazing new train whizzing in circles beneath it). Every time he leaves "Tree's" presence for nap, for Antie's, or for whatever adventure, he waves and says, "Bye, Tree".

The collection of the colors and the sparkles of the ornaments we've amassed over the years make his eyes dance. Maybe it's the "fancy" LEDs; maybe it's just magic. Whatever it is, it makes my heart sink to think that once the New Year hits, we'll all be saying, "Bye, Tree".

Miss Maddy prefers the "sneak attack" on the Tree... Every time I see her gazing at it, her beauty stops me in my tracks and I can't help but think of the line "...tiny tots with their eyes all aglow..." that's our girl. Now more than ever.

I just got off the phone with one of my dearest friends, who asked me what I was getting for Christmas this year (besides the washer and dryer, which, incidently, I love). And I told her for the first time, in all of my years, I have "All I could ever need". And it's true. While I spend a lot of time wishing my Mom were here, I do feel her presence in my children's hearts. I have a husband who loves me, provides for me and the babies, and can chug a beer with my other best guy, my Dad... Who has always been a hero and a friend. 

Look closely at these pictures. The best presents I have ever been given are already around "Tree". 

I wish you all a holiday season filled with love, light, and happiness in your heart. Love you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment